Monday, January 10, 2011

2010 Recap

Just a quick note to help me remember why 2010 was such a great year.
  • I made some life changes after realizing that I do things because I think they'd be good for me and my future and not because I like doing them. After making an important academic decision, I lifted a heavy weight from my shoulders and I became happy again. Thanks, Professor Adams!
  • Spent the summer in Sunnyvale, CA and fell in love with San Francisco
  • Met a lot of great people while I was in California, including but not limited to Geetanjali (Berkeley), Mai (North Carolina), some Canadian folk from Toronto (Waterloo), and my roomie Evan (who now works for HP). I definitely still keep up with a lot of them and I'm glad that I made such good friends while I was there.
  • Worked for Palm / HP - my first paid internship ever. I'm still incredibly thankful for this opportunity and grateful to my hiring manager, David, who gave it to me. I applied thinking it was a longshot, but I ended up getting it. That I'm a fan of Wes Anderson, that I blog, and that I'm a UT student helped I think (he's a UT alum). They paid for my flight, my apartment, and lent me a bike. Best thing that's happened to me so far.
  • Saw Lady Gaga live in concert for free. Tickets cost $200! The experience was such a blast.
  • I had a guy fall in love with me, ask me on a date, and pretty much creeped on me for a week. I'm definitely not used to that and I was really uncomfortable then, but now it makes for a funny story.
  • Met a lot of great people in the Fall 2010 semester, including a lot of foreign exchange students from Europe who I plan on visiting if I ever find myself over there. Hugo & David of Toulouse, France; Veronika of Prague, Czech Republic; and Mads of Copenhagen, Denmark.
  • Went to New York for the first time ever and got to see a lot of Manhattan and some of Brooklyn.
  • On December 14, I got out of the subway and found myself in Bryant Park, where I checked my messages and found out that a company wanted to extend to me an offer for full-time employment. Ecstatic, I called my mom and told her the good news. It was freezing balls, but it was such a great moment. I won't forget it.
  • Finally, I got all A's in the Fall 2010 semester, the first time since +/- system went into effect.
I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of things that made the year so great, but I think I've highlighted the major events.

2011 is starting off a little slow, but I don't doubt that it will a great one, too. 2010 might be a little tough to top, but I'm optimistic. Very optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment